02 September 2017


When I read about the #summerofbasics callenge by Karen Templer I knew I wanted to participate. The garments I chose to make will go perfectly with my wardrobe. I love wearing reds, green is a surprisingly good new addition and I can't get enough of grey. I'm probably not brave enough to wear the flowery Orla without some kind of cardigan or the Deschain over it, but that's all right, I'll always have fall and spring.

Here are my makes troughout the months:


The Orla Dress

It is a free pattern and looked so cute I had to make one. As I'm not a fan of sleeves in summer I modified the upper body pieces so I could add bias binding to it and have a sleeveless Orla.
I'm not sure what the fabric is exactly but it should be a cotton satin or batist. It was another dress once. I had made it when I just started sewing and never actually wore it.

Notes for next time:
  • I made a size M and could probably go down a size for the bodice.
  • Install a longer zipper
  • The binding for the neck gaps a little bit - so I need to look into it


Another reduce-my-stash project. Some years ago I bought 2 skeins of Drops Lace (back when it was 100g per skein) in this beautiful rusty red and never made it into the sweater I wanted to.
The #summerofbasics challenge was the perfect reason to finally use it (since I didn't even use a whole skein I could knit another summer shirt out of it)
I love the I-cord for the hem, armholes and neck throughout the shirt
It is very sheer so I'm not quite sure how to wear it but I could probably layer it over a sleeveless dress


Deschain 😍

What a pattern. I want to make tons of Deschains.
This is my first try at something cropped and lacy. I always thought this wasn't for me because my lower back needs to be kept warm.
Definitely my favourite make for the #summerofbasics challenge.
Such a fast and easy knit. The lace pattern is so pretty.

  • 6 repeats of pattern in total 
  • 1 repeat for upper back
  • I didn't do the neck finishing


I count my last project as a +one because it is a heavily modified Orla. You see it is only the skirt part and I added a fake button band to the front, pockets and used an elastic waist for the back. Because the elastic I had was sh*tty I added belt loops so I could add a small belt to keep the skirt in place. I really need to find good and longliving elastics for my following projects. So if you have any recommendations, please don't be shy and tell me.

The forest green double-gauze isn't the highest quality fabric and will probably pill soon.
But I am quite pleased with the result and will definitely sew more skirts in this style. I'm a fan of solid, rich colours.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen